There are stories to tell....

Quilts are more than wall hangings , covers or blankets. They tell the story of the people, and the times in which they were made.
Quilting presents the opportunity for members to not only be creative, but to socialize with others who have the same interests. Quilts welcome a new baby into the world, and in some cases are put on display as its maker is made ready for the journey to cross over....
Quilts keep us warm on a chilly night and decorate our homes. Just as a child draws a picture, we make quilts. We are forever, that child within...

Friday, January 6, 2012

Mystery of Oak Island

There is a story that goes with this quilt.
In 2010, my sister and I planned a trip to Nova Scotia. When she heard that I was interested in the story of the mystery of Oak Island, she commented that we would have to look that up. I told her not be concerned about building that into our agenda, as I felt sure there was nothing there for us to see. It is a story that goes back hundreds of years when pirates and buccaneers sailed along the coast, as did some early European visitors. It is thought by some that there is treasure there to be found...but so far it has not been discovered. In the meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent, and at least six have lost their lives seeking this treasure. It is an intriguing story...
I came upon a photo of a painting....by Erin Bennett Banks done for a children's book. The painting was titled Mystery of Oak Island. I liked the painting and the colors, so I decided I would make a quilt, take it with me to Nova Scotia, and as a memory of the trip, would have myself photographed there with it. I loved making this quilt, but the story does not end here......(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment